This is a hands-on course designed for those who already have knowledge of Coloured Gemstones and will reveal the inside story about gemstone treatments. Under the expert tuition of Gwyn Green, delegates will study a range of sample stones and learn some important lessons about detecting treatments and recognising the tell-tale signs that a stone is not entirely natural and. Provides 6 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Activity.
Why are gemstones treated?
Types of treatment and the gems suitable
· Surface treatments
· Surface and Sub-surface treatments
· Treatments throughout
· Which gems on the market are commonly subject to treatments?
Detection of Treatments
· Appearance before and after treatments
· Signs that a gem has been treated – what to look for
· Simple tests to determine whether or not a gem has been treated
Reliability of treatments
The Down-side of treatments
Disclosure of treatments, CIBJO regulations
· Examination of treated gems to compare appearance by eye and using magnification with untreated gems
· Discussion of sophisticated techniques necessary for to detect some treatments.